Friday, April 12, 2013

In Focus

“You’re wonderful,” you said to me
once, resting your head
against a tabled book after I said something
or other that made your bright thunderhead
eyes crinkle

And I recalled a child's astronomy lesson:
That once, we were one flame
- a brilliant stellar roil -
now collapsed into these countless discrete forms:

The book, and
the things in it that troubled you.
The scarf that
you folded and slipped under
my cheek as I slept in
the library.
The current that coursed through
the filament that illuminated
you and me.

Though I only smiled dumbly,
forgetting how to speak.

These passing familiar fragments
somehow converging here
again. Meeting, as if never separated
by this long trajectory.
An eternity to spend drifting apart
interrupted, for only a moment,
by your head tilted in passing recognition.





1 comment: